First Things First – Tips for Hiring the Right General Contractor for Your Next Job
Any time you start a new project, it pays to do your homework and prepare yourself for any and all possibilities that may come your way over the duration of the work cycle. And hiring the right contractor should be high on your list when it comes to doing the right job at the right price, with as little drama and headaches as possible.
If you hire the right person or company at the beginning, it’s going to save you a lot of hassle later on. Trust us, we’ve seen it all!
When a project is put out to bid, we’ve seen companies way too often simply hire the firm that submitted the lowest estimate. And, while cost is certainly a factor, it shouldn’t be the only criteria a company uses for evaluating potential contracting firms.
And on that note, let’s look at a few things to consider when hiring a general contracting firm…
The first thing you should consider during the hiring process is whether or not the contracting firm has the experience necessary to get the job done right. A few questions you may want to consider asking include…
- How long has the company been in business?
- Are there references that can be made available?
- How many employees does the company have and how many will be assigned to your job?
- Is the company well regarded in the community?
These are all questions you need to ask of any prospective firm before making your final decision.
Next, let’s look at available resources. Questions include…
- Does the contracting firm have a reliable network of quality subcontractors at its disposal, as well as adequate staff to handle your project?
- Does it have in-house drafting and other departments that can help out as the project progresses?
- Is the company up to date on all local building codes?
Remember, you can never ask too many questions. You have a big project on the line, and you need it done right.
Just like any successful relationship, communication is key. You need to be certain you hire a contracting firm that will be there when you need them. Construction projects are very fluid and sometimes you will need answers to a question right away, so make sure there will be someone available there to address these issues as you go along. Here are a few questions you may want to ask of your prospective general contracting firms…
- Is there a person who is assigned to my project?
- If so, is he or she readily available via cell phone and/or email?
- Is the company able to communicate in a timely manner with subcontractors?
Does the general contracting firm you’re considering have a strong financial record? The last thing you need is to have a company going through financial difficulties when you’re in the middle of a project. Do a little digging and make sure you have all the facts before making your final decision. Here are a few questions to consider…
- Does the company have a healthy balance sheet?
- Is the company responsible when it comes to paying its bills?
- Is the contractor asking for money upfront?
- Has the company given accurate estimates in the past?
Take these tips to heart and it’ll go a long way toward ensuring your next building project runs smoothly.
And, if you’re in the market for a general contractor on your next job, we’d love a chance to speak with you about it. Give us a ring today at 302-875-5445 so we can explain to you how we can meet and even exceed all of your needs.
Have a great day everyone!